Monday, October 09, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

Depending on where you live or how globally educated you are, you may be aware that today was Thanksgiving Day in Canada. I'm not sure how accurate Kelly's expalnation of Canadian Thanksgiving is but it did get me wondering. I decided to pay a quick visit to wikipedia and was pleasantly surprised. Apparently Thanksgiving in Canada predates the traditional first Thanksgiving at Plymouth Rock (1621). "Thanksgiving is related to harvest festivals that had long been a traditional holiday in much of Europe. The first North American celebration of these traditional festivals by Europeans was held in Newfoundland by Martin Frobisher and the Frobisher Expedition to find the Northwest Passage in 1578, and Canadians trace their Thanksgiving to that festival." (wikipedia). Thanksgiving has only been on the second Monday in October since 1957. Before that it varied from year to year even occuring in April one year after the Prince of Wales recoverd from a serious illness. (The Prince of Wales is the title of the one who is next in line to the British throne). The reason the government decided to go with the second Monday in October propably does have to do with the earlier harvest in Canada like Kelly said on his blog. So there you go. Now you can't say you didn't learn something new today. Unless of course you already knew this.
I kicked off my Thanksgiving weekend with an introduction to the gay scene on Friday night. I met Jeff and Doug at Darren's place. After they finished their pregame prayers and preparations we headed out to Twisted. We walked in the door and met Calvin (I hope that's his name. I'm really bad with names.) They were all very apologetic for the atmosphere in the bar. Trust me guys. I was fine. I can probably count the number of bars I've been in on one hand so from where I sit something is better than nothing. I might not always show it but I was having a good time. Granted the eyeliner and purses might get old after a while.
Saturday I dropped by Jeff's for a while and met Debbie and Sandy (? Did I mention I'm really bad with names) They were having a fondue party. I'd tell you about it but what happens at fondue stays at fondue. I will say that Jeff was apologizing again. He may have had a bit to drink and was rather enjoying himself. He had no reaons to be sorry. He was still Jeff just more so. There are pictures but you'll have to bug Jeff about that.
Sunday was a quiet day and then Today we had our turkey dinner with family. Friends of my Aunt and Uncle came over as well as my cousins and my brother and his wife drove down from Edmonton. There were thirteen of us all together.
Well time for me to turn the lights out. I have to get up and head downtown for another interview. Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad Twisted didn't traumatize you too much. I must say I can only vist that daycare once in a while...and there is a reason I don't go to those places sober......Yikes! We might have to take you to the Eagle.....let me tell you one won't find any purses in that place! But as Jeff might tell you I kind of secretly like it there :)

PS I think you should go for the Mastercard costume......you can borrow my statements for authenticity - feel free to make a payment as unfortunately by balance is far from "pricelss"

10/10/06, 7:06 PM  
Blogger Matty said...

Jeff- The interview went well. I'll see you tomorrow at lunch.

Doug- I checked out the Eagle's website and it's safe to say I won't be going there by myself. Fresh meat like me would get eaten alive. Definitely the kind of place you go with an entourage.
I guess I should decide on a costume soon. Only 2 1/2 weeks. If you need any help setting up let me know. I live pretty close.

10/10/06, 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Matt the Eagle isn't the kind of place one goes alone to -and don't forget you have to cross the LRT tracks and walk through "crack-cul-de-sac" (one could say the place is definitely on the wrong side of the tracks)

Anyhow, I think I'm good on setting up for the party. Thanks for the offer though.

Later.....D

10/12/06, 6:32 PM  
Blogger Kelicious said...

It's 60 degrees F and he's complaining it's hot... you Canadians are so strange..sexy but strange.

10/15/06, 3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home