Thursday, July 27, 2006

On snobbery and acceptance

I am a snob. There I said it. They say that admitting it is the first step. I try not to be but for some reason I think that I’m better than everyone else. I know it’s not true though. You wouldn’t have to look far to find someone who is better than me in most things. I was never the top of my class (near the top but not the top), never the most athletic (I’m ok but far from the best), and artistically I’m only so so as well. You could say I don’t really excel or suck at anything. I’m just an all around average guy. Even though I acknowledge my mediocrity, for some reason I still look at people and assume that I’m better than them. I know in my head that it’s not true but somehow it’s become my default setting and I need to remind myself that I’m not better just different. I also know that we tend to project our traits on other people so because I see myself as snobby I assume that other people will be too. That’s why I was a little worried making my blogroll because in my head I hear these people saying “Who’s this punk and what does he think he’s doing linking to my site?”

Because I think like this, it was really cool to see world renowned blogger Darin leave a comment welcoming me to the blogosphere. I feel like there should be an award or something for being the first commenter on my site but unfortunately I am an unemployed recent college graduate still living in his parents’ house (sad I know but I’m working on it). I really enjoy Darin’s blog All Preparation and No H. It’s fun and light-hearted for the most part and because he’s an ESTP he sees things the way I do. Of course as an ISTP I’m happy to sit at home and read about his adventures instead of going out and having my own.

I found Darin’s blog through Scotty’s blog The Other Side of Straight. I like this blog because it gives me hope. The dynamic between Scotty and Joel is really great which gives me hope that someday somewhere I might find that too. Also Scotty has a similar religious background and the way his parents have come around gives me hope as well. I’m going through some of what he’s been through with more ahead I’m sure, so reading about how someone else dealt with it and that things are working out is really encouraging.

Another blog I found through Scotty’s is Fresh N Tasty. Donnie always has something to entertain or ponder and if he doesn’t he’s kind enough to leave a little something for his readers until he returns. There’s something about listening to Donnie’s podcasts. I can picture myself curled up next to him while he sips his Fresca and shares what’s on his mind. I’m not sure how compatible we would actually be in real life but I am a good listener and I enjoy having my head rubbed so if our paths ever cross in the “real world” I probably wouldn’t turn him down if he invited me under his covers and wanted to tell me about his day. For now though, I'll just have to settle for listening to him over the internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home